Weaving in Spanish New Mexico dates to the 18th century and was almost exclusively made for local trade, although blankets were shipped to Mexico early on and sold to the U.S. Government during the Navajo interment during the Civil War. Designs most often included rather simple bands and stripes, but the more complex patterns were based on central diamond designs adapted from Saltillo weavings imported from Mexico. In the early part of the 20th century, weavers from the Chimayo area of northern New Mexico developed weavings with commercial yarns and cotton string warps that were sold commercially to tourists.
Rio Grande blankets dating from the middle of the 19th century through the turn of the 20th century pieces are often available, as are early commercial yarn Chimayo weavings. Once in a while we have rare mid-19th century jergas (twill woven floor coverings) and colcha embroideries including the Carson colchas from the 1930-40s.